Tuesday 22 July 2008

Flower Pin Cushion challenge and work in progress.


These are the drawings I made for The Flower Pin Cushion Challenge from my Challenge site. The Challenge was to make a pin cushion with a stylised/geometric/art nouveau design to it. The first one above is of a Love in a Mist flower.



I then went on to make some studies of various other flowers, foxglove, penstemon and aquilegia. I became quite interested as always by the division of a circle, I found myself looking at the back of the aquilegia and noticed how the petals are divided. I then made a simple pencil drawing but the final design ended up to look much more like the water lilies on my pond, so I went along with that as it seemed to work very well. Not absolutely satisfied with the end result but I am quite pleased with the colour considering that I don't usually like working with bright pinks. Strangely enough I am more pleased with the green around the pink which I added a little silk to as I felted it.


Work in Progress.

Ok, as you can see I am back to my circles. I love geometry!


Being still quite new to the embellisher I am still experimenting with it to see it's possibilities. The piece of felt below was made by using up scraps of mainly brown felt, felted onto a wool blanket that I dyed a nice shade of pink. I then felted some chiffon headscarf material on to the back of this which was a combination of blues and golds and pinks. The beauty of working this way, I feel is that I make a piece of felt and then not only does the work from behind give the piece some nice unifying colours but also once cut into the shapes I want to use, I find that I can then use both sides which are slightly different but that compliment each other, as I hope you will see by the smaller pieces I have placed over this one, see below.

I hope that you can see the subtle change from the front and back. The back is the chiffon material and it is the smaller piece. I have done some machine embroidery onto this fabric and purely by accident in a way the rayon which was in the bobbin which was a shiny cream thread inspired me to embroider with some silvery thread around the outside of the top circle. The lower, larger circle is not so distinct and has a bronze shiny rayon machine stitching on it.

Here is a close up so that you can make out the differences between the two layers.
It is going to be very much a layered piece with the material alternating from back to front being used.
Another close up, this time of the petal features.
I haven't got all the petals motifs finished yet but you can see the idea of how it will look when it is finished
Well, I can honestly say I am now working in a manner that I am happy with. I feel that I need to make a series of these. So I hope to post some more and I will place the finished article here when done. B.F.N Tricia

2 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Tricia. Love your wool felting. Your flower pincushion is lovely Love the frilly white center. I also love the stitching you used around the edges. I look forward to seeing it completed. Hugs Judy

Tricks said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks for your lovely comments, the pin cushion is finished now.

The other piece is another piece of work, I didn't realise that it read as though these were connected. I must improve my blogging format. I think in future I might find something to seperate different pieces of work. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks anyway, Cheers Tricia